Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wrapped Up in Books (I Wish I Was)

I've never been a big reader. No, I'm not too cool for books; I just prefer to spend my down-time writing and drawing. I started reading again, yesterday, though, starting with Chris Jericho's A Lion's Tale: Around the World in Spandex and Greg Milner's Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music (a full post on Perfecting Sound Forever to come after I finish reading that book). As I gave my bleary eyes a rest, I thought about how little I actually read - and enjoy. I thought, "I've read so little, I can probably list every book I've ever enjoyed." A few short minutes later, I whipped up that list. In even fewer minutes, I whipped up another list: a to-read list. But that wasn't enough. I wanted more - books of which I've never heard or that may have slipped my mind. And that's where you come in.

I'm open to all recommendations, but books related to music, fine/visual arts, American and Canadian history, black history, the American South, middle America, suburbia, frontier times, North American expansionism, modernism and philosophy are particularly welcome.

Whacked:
Margaret Atwood - Alias Grace
Margaret Atwood - The Blind Assassin
Margaret Atwood - Oryx and Crake
David Browne - Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth
Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Charles R. Cross - Heavier Than Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain
Deborah Curtis - Touching from a Distance
Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment
Fannie Flagg - Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Mick Foley - Have A Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
Bret Hart - Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling 
Hermann Hesse - Peter Camenzind
Nick Hornby - High Fidelity
Naomi Klein - No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies 
Michael Muhammed Knight - The Taqwacores
Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
Armistead Maupin - Tales of the City 
Armistead Maupin - More Tales of the City 
Armistead Maupin - Further Tales of the City
Alan Moore - The Watchmen
Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife 
Michael Pollan - The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals 
Wilson Rawls - Where the Red Fern Grows 
J. D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye 
Susan Sontag - On Photography
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men
Mark Twain - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
John Updike - Rabbit, Run 
John Updike - Rabbit Redux 
John Updike - Rabbit Is Rich 
Voltaire - Candide 
Kurt Vonnegut - Bluebeard
Kurt Vonnegut - Breakfast of Champions 
Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night 
Kurt Vonnegut - Slapstick
Kurt Vonnegut - Slaughterhouse-Five
Rusty Young - Marching Powder

Hitlist: 
Margaret Atwood - The Edible Woman 
Margaret Atwood - Survival: A Thematic Guide To Canadian Literature 
L. Frank Baum -the Oz series
William S. Burroughs - various
Douglas Coupland - various
Bret Easton Ellis - various
Jonathan Franzen - How To Be Alone
Jonathan Franzen - The Corrections
Susan Freinkel - Plastic: A Toxic Love Story
Allen Ginsberg - various
Books on which movies I like and movies I dislike were based
Jack Kerouac - various
Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue
Chuck Klosterman - various
Jack London - various
The Marquis des Sade - Justine, or Good Conduct Well Chastised
Milan Kundera - The Unbearable Lightness of Being 
Jack London - various
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita 
Michael Pollan - In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto 
Michael Pollan - Food Rules: An Eater's Manual 
Motley Crue - The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
Henry Rollins - Get in the Van
John Steinbeck - various
Mark Twain - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn 
Philip K. Dick - A Scanner Darkly

No comments:

Post a Comment