Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Underrated White Stripes Song: "Who's To Say?" (Blanche Cover)



Maybe it's "underrated" because not enough people seek out the White Stripes' B-sides, and probably even less people know who Dan Miller is.

"Who's To Say?," the flip-side of the White Stripes' I Just Don't Know What To Do with Myself single, was written by Detroit mainstay Dan Miller and performed as far back as at least 1998 by Jack's and Dan's short-lived band 2 Star Tabernacle. Since then, Dan has reworked the song as part of his current group Blanche's 2004 album If We Can't Trust the Doctors.

In un-White Stripes fashion, Jack and Meg don't put much of their own spin on "Who's To Say?" I still prefer the White Stripes' version, however, which is why I'm posting theirs. As much as I'd like to call some of the song's lyrics brilliant, I realize it may be a little grandiose of a compliment, so I'll just leave it at this: I fuckin' love them:

Who's to say this time I've wasted
Someday won't get used?
Maybe if you come around
I'll start to get enthused

...

Who's to say that I'm obsessed
With everything you do
Just because it seems my schedule
Seems to shadow you?
Who's to say that tired
"There's more fish in the sea"?
I don't mind treading water
'Cause you're the one for me

You say that by now
I should know you'll never love me
But who's to say that what has never
Been will never be?
What has been will never be?

No comments:

Post a Comment