Friday, July 8, 2011

The Sentimental Journey of Juan García Esquivel



I have so much music, I'm admittedly unfamiliar with a significant portion of it. But if that wasn't the case, I'd never have moments like the one I just had: stumbling upon a kick-ass song in my own library. I love when iTunes is on shuffle, or I've typed a particular word or phrase into the search bar, and the song I'd intended to listen to finishes and moves onto the next track, a great song I never knew I had or paid much attention to.

I'd searched "sentim" in iTunes because I'd wanted to listen to Broken Social Scene's "Sentimental X's." Immediately following that track was "Sentimental Journey" by Latin-inspired jazz and lounge composer Juan García Esquivel. I'd always loved "Sentimental Journey" (specifically Sarah Harmer's, Doris Day's and the Platters' versions), so to find out I had another version and one that was so different from the versions I was accustomed to was a real treat. Maybe Esquivel's version will prompt me to give his album Loungecore, on which "Sentimental Journey" appears, a more attentive listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment