Sunday, July 17, 2011

After More Than Six Years, It Finally Happened:

I became a Talking Heads fan.

I'd downloaded all of Talking Heads' major albums (More Songs About Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues) when I was in high school, but I was just never able to hack them. It wasn't that I disliked New Wave (I loved both Devo and XTC at the time, and I thought Elvis Costello was okay too); I could just never get into Talking Heads.

Fast-forward more than six years. I've been listening to a fair amount of XTC lately (specifically Drums and Wires and Black Sea), and while I'm rarely in the mood for XTC and New Wave in general, I couldn't believe how awesome everything about those albums were. Scratch that: I'd forgotten how awesome everything about those albums were. The production is heavy and slick - the sound I imagine the Strokes wanted to emulate on their uninspired (I'm being generous here) third album First Impressions of Earth (RCA, 2006) - and they're just loaded with angular guitars over off-kilter melodies and all kinds of weird, jangly rhythms. Founding guitarist and vocalist Andy Partridge sings so ... unmelodiously at times, and that's what really seals the deal on XTC for me. They totally made me want to listen to more New Wave, and with Devo also back in rotation, I figured it was time to re-visit another New Wave icon Talking Heads.

Like the Mountain Goats, whom I almost deleted after several failed listens but who then went on to become one of my favourite bands of all time, Talking Heads is personal proof that it's never too late to get into a certain artist. Talking Heads also re-affirm for me that despite best friends/roommates who argue otherwise, it is okay to impetuously get rid of music: there's always a chance I'll fall in love with an artist far down the line, and until then (and even if not), the revolving door of artists I will take to more immediately will keep spinning.

My favourite and second favourite songs from More Songs About Buildings and Food (Sire Records, 1978), respectively:



No comments:

Post a Comment