Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Have You Ever Wanted To Hear Jack White On A Rap/Hip-Hop Track That Isn't A Mash-Up?

But are as tired as I am of waiting for his Jay-Z collaboration reportedly entitled "Ray Bans"? How about two rap/hip-hop tracks? If you answered yes to either question, you and I are in luck. Sort of.

Today, Jack White's Nashville-based Third Man Records released a brand new single by fellow Detroitian rapper Black Milk. The single, available digitally and on 7" vinyl, was co-produced by White and Black Milk and is Third Man Records' first foray into rap/hip-hop.

Now, I say you and I are sort of in luck because while we get to hear Jack on both sides of the single, we don't actually get to hear him sing on either song; rather, A-side "Brain" features Jack on guitar, and B-side "Royal Mega" features Jack on drums. It's all good to me though: new music featuring Jack White is new music featuring Jack White, and I will take it in a heartbeat.

Click here for just one of the multitude of blogs that's currently streaming both "Brain" and "Royal Mega" in full. I will warn, however (possibly erroneously), every blog I've visited that's streaming both "Brain" and "Royal Mega" have the track-names switched, compared to more reliable news sources. I'd link to said sources, but they are only streaming one of the tracks.

I'm too sleepy yet wired on caffeine to give lucid thoughts on either song, but I will say, I fucking love the brass-action, and the breaks are really good too. Caffeine and two incredible new songs featuring Jack White. How am I going to sleep tonight?

Note: I wanted to entitle this post "Jack Milk," but then I thought that might have conjured unsavoury connotations. Regardless, I've put the thought out there now.

2 comments:

  1. The rap itself doesn't really blow me away, but I like the music going on here. It'd be even better if Jack would interact with the rap through vocals; a sort of back-and-forth thingy. Thanks for the link/tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts. Pretty much "talk, talk, talk." It's Jack's continued involvement in songs like these that helps me not lament the White Stripes' break-up though.

    ReplyDelete