Tuesday, July 5, 2011

From the Vault: "Pop Went Halifax, Part One: Brian Berchardt, Julie Fader, By Divine Right and Off the International Radar"

My review of the first set of shows I went to at Halifax Pop Explosion '09 which I previewed here.


Pop Went Halifax, Part One: Brian Berchardt, Julie Fader, By Divine Right and Off the International Radar

The first show opened with Holy Fuck frontman Brian Borcherdt's surprisingly mellow set - quite a contrast to his full-time band's livetronica raves. It was mainly him and another guy both on electric guitars, and they were eventually joined by Julie Fader with her Feist-like background vocals. After Brian's set, Julie took the stage herself, mostly backed on second guitar by Jose Contreras, the frontman of 90s Canadian indie rock icons By Divine Right. Brian and the other guitarist returned the favour by joining Julie for a few songs as well.

Although Off the International Radar was the last band of the night, [my friend] Steve and I left after the next act (and the main attraction for me) By Divine Right. They are one of the first indie rock bands I can remember, and I've listened to them since grade eight, so it was a real treat to finally be able to see them, especially since they're so inactive these days.

BDR played as a newly formed trio that night, pounding out song after song from their upcoming new album Mutant Message. It didn't matter that they didn't play a single familiar song (although it would have been nice), as every one of their new songs kicked ass - much harder edged than anything they'd done before. In fact, they rocked so hard, Jose broke a string during their first song and had to borrow Brian's guitar until Brian finished restringing it in the back. I never knew how much of a showman/skilled guitarist Jose was. I also have to hand it to Jose for having admitted that they didn't only play new songs to promote their new album but that they simply hadn't learned much of their old stuff yet.

BDR closed with "Titty Shaker," the same words that were written on the young, new drummer's white shirt in reflective gold letters. Jose kept charitably asking the crowd to fix up the drummer's "dope habit." I wish I could have obliged.

No comments:

Post a Comment