Monday, July 4, 2011

The Raveonettes: Rarely Great, Always Good

Even though the Raveonettes are far from one of my favourite bands, they will always have a special place in my heart. Nine years ago, my cousin’s boyfriend at the time burned me two CDs that ended up changing my life: one disc contained the White Stripes' breakthrough third album White Blood Cells and second album De Stijl, and the other CD contained their self-titled debut album and the Raveonettes' Whip It On EP. At the time, the Raveonettes were still a young, up-and-coming Swedish band that was brand new to the indie scene and had nothing more to their name than their Whip It On EP.

Like most of the Raveonettes' discography, I was never crazy about Whip It On, but the fact that I've liked the Raveonettes almost exactly as long as I've liked my favourite band the White Stripes is kind of endearing to think about. It's too bad I missed the Raveonettes' recent show here back in May.

Here are a couple of my favourite latter-day Raveonettes songs from their newest album Raven in the Grave (Vice Records, 2011):

"Recharge and Revolt"

"Forget That You're Young" (Rainy day music, if I ever heard it. Probably my new favourite Raveonettes song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment