Saturday, February 18, 2012

Robert Crumb Quote

"When I listen to old music, that's one of the few times when I actually have a kind of a love for humanity. You hear the best part of the soul of the common people, you know - their ... their way of expressing their connection to eternity or whatever you want to call it. Modern music doesn't have that calamitous loss that people can't express themselves that way anymore, you know?"

Crumb then throws on a blues record, sits back and just listens.

I wish I could say that scene from Terry Zwigoff's 1994 documentary Crumb describes me to a tee, but I'm not as romantically misanthropic as Mr. Crumb. Crumb made me pick up my sketchbook for the first time since summer in hopes of being as creatively prolific as him some day. I was pretty staggered by how much he has produced, especially considering how obsessively detailed a lot of his work is. I, unfortunately, slave away yet produce little. Ah, well. Oh, hey: this is my first visual art post. My blog description has always said this blog concerns music as well as the visual arts. Me having taken this long to finally blog about art, however inspired by music as this post has been, says something about my current feelings towards the visual arts. But that's another post.

Skip to 3:57 to watch the scene this post concerns:

No comments:

Post a Comment