Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Don't Need You": A Herstory of Riot Grrrl

"Don't Need You": A Herstory of Riot Grrrl may be my favourite music documentary - top four for sure. It randomly popped into my mind, and I decided to search YouTube for a trailer I could post. What I found was far better than a trailer: I found the whole damned film.

Since a couple of years ago, Riot Grrrl has been one of my favourite musical movements, due largely in part to this approximately thirty-nine-minute mini-documentary by Kerri Koch. I like Riot Grrrl for an obvious reason: it's simultaneously punk and twee (at least a handful of Bratmobile songs are twee). But Riot Grrrl is also probably the only musical movement the social/political ethics and aesthetics (redundant?) of which have ever interested me (besides male-dominated punk's D.I.Y. philosophy, which Riot Grrrl shares, and Straight-Edge movement); maybe it's my disdain for most things typically "male" or just macho "male" culture in general. That's not so abnormal coming from a guy. Hell, Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat and Fugazi front person and all-around punk icon) was a huge proponent of Riot Grrrl.

Anyway, I don't want to repeat any of my university essays, so just enjoy the documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment