Monday, November 14, 2011

Welcome To the Club

Do you ever have moments when you're listening to an album, however often or rarely you listen to it - it's just kind of on in the background - and then suddenly, a lyric or melody or some other part of a particular song catches your attention, and then you have to re-start the song, regardless of how far you've already gotten through it?

I just had one (but not my first, hence "Welcome To the Club") such moment with American dream pop duo Azure Ray's "Trees Keep Growing" from their 2002 album Burn and Shiver (Warm Records). I almost never listen to this album, although I've had it for ever (its opening track "Favourite Cities" is one of my favourite songs which deserves (and likely will receive) a post of its own). I was actually giving it one final listen to decide whether I even wanted to keep it. Although "Trees Keep Growing" alone has not saved Burn and Shiver from being deleted yet, I have been pleasantly surprised by this track. How it has gotten past me all these years while "Favourite Cities" hasn't is beyond me.

As I typed all of this, I finally stopped repeating "Trees Keep Growing" and let the next track "A Thousand Years" come on, and it's quite good so far too. Let's see where the rest of this album goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment