Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sia Live at the Commodore Ballroom

August 19, 2011
Commodore Ballroom
Vancouver, British Columbia

Originally, I wasn't sure if I was going to go to Sia. I was thinking about going to the far cheaper (and far closer) Mister Heavenly on the same night or going to neither, but a friend of mine bought a ticket for me as a belated birthday gift, so I definitely wasn't going to say no.

Sia was a good show, even though I was asleep for or at least nodding during much of it. That was because I'd gone to the show straight from work. Having to stand (and partially sit) through a lackluster opener didn't make it easier to stay awake either.

My only complaints about Sia were that she was too chatty, and she tried too hard to be funny. I knew she was quirky and chatty, but after a while, I just wanted her to play her fucking songs. It also didn't help that most of her jokes/banter revolved around dick-, vagina- and sex-jokes and that she seemed to have dropped those words just to get cheap laughs; crowds are often pretty easy that way.

Enough about the bad though. If I remember correctly (the show was two-and-a-half months ago), she played every song I wanted to hear, including "Little Black Sandals," "Academia," "Playground," "Death by Chocolate," "The Girl That You Lost To Cocaine," "Buttons" (actually, I think she only played one of these last two) and even "Breath Me" from one of my favourite television shows of all time Six Feet Under.

For more photos of Sia live at the Commodore Ballroom, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment