Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Angel Haze - "New York" and New Blog Tag


"Best New Music"ed rappists (to borrow a mondegreen from Parks and Recreations' Jerry Gergich), most of whom fail to live up to the hype apart from a song or two, seem to emerge every week. With Azealia Banks being one of the more recent examples but actually consistently banging out hot track after hot track, from a statistical standpoint, I'm wary of praising twenty-year-old Michigan-born rapper Angel Haze too soon; plus, her work I've heard aside from "New York," from her Reservations EP due in a couple of weeks, hasn't impressed me. 

While I'm refraining from making any predictions about Angel Haze, I can say (and will say) "New York" totally kicks ass. But how could it not when she pretty much straight-lifted Gil Scott-Heron's "New York Is Killing Me"?

Blog note: Starting with this post, I've created a new "watch out" tag for posting about emerging artists. I'll still use the "spotlight" tag, but I'll reserve it for more tenured artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment