Sunday, February 24, 2013

Disaffected? Disillusioned?

Excluded? Margin-walker? Here's a song for all you misfits out there: "Get In" by the Hive Dwellers, the latest brain-baby of Beat Happening and K Records founder Calvin Johnson.

Every once in a long while, I hear a song for the first time that is so good, I stop whatever I'm doing and just listen. "Get In" is the latest such track, halting my dishwashing when I noticed what Calvin was singing about and that the song's ramshackle groove, off-kilter cadences and his seemingly endless stream-of-consciousness just kept going on and on and on. I just stood at the sink noticing all of the little changes here and there: the typewriter ticking away and little spurts of guitar and bass noodling that come in like endless false finishes. With just enough variation, by the end of the song, I couldn't believe five-and-a-half minutes had passed.

What will you be stopping in the middle of?


No comments:

Post a Comment