Saturday, August 18, 2012

"I Made About Five Million Dollars Last Year

and I'm not giving a red cent to that elitist, little fuck Calvin Johnson. No way! I've collaborated with one of my idols, William Burroughs and I couldn't feel cooler. I moved away to L.A. for a year and came back to find that three of my friends have become full blown heroine addicts. I've learned to hate riot grrrl, a movement in which I was a witness to its very initial inception because I fucked the girl who put out the first grrrl-style fanzine and now she is exploiting the fact that she fucked me. Not in a huge way, but enough to feel exploited. But that's okay because I chose to let corporate white men exploit me a few years ago and I love it. It feels good. And I'm not gonna donate a single fucking dollar to the indie fascist regime. They can starve. Let them eat vinyl. Every crumb for himself. I'll be able to sell my untalented, very ungenius ass for years based on my cult status."

 - Kurt Cobain, from an unsent letter to ex-girlfriend and Bikini Kill drummer Tobi Vail

Not that I dislike Calvin Johnson or Riot Grrrl (the complete opposite, actually), but this Kurt Cobain quote is so striking. I've never heard anyone disparage either with so much vitriol, especially not someone as high-profile and respected as Kurt Cobain.

No comments:

Post a Comment