Friday, June 1, 2012

Why Do I Always Like Marnie Stern Interviews So Much?

“The way the music business is now…well, there are just so many bands,” she exasperates. “No one is critical. It’s all about having as much music as possible. Nobody listens to anything for more than 30 seconds.” For someone that can spend up to “five fucking hours” perfecting one simple guitar riff, this change in the musical landscape is frustrating. Bands Marnie once looked up to and adored like Hella (whose drummer now plays with her), Ponytail and Battles aren’t on the forefront of the scene. A new crew has taken over. “I don’t hear any [new music] that gets me excited,” she complains. “That is the worst part. I like that healthy sense of competition. It’s what I thrive from and it’s gone.” 

I don't particularly like her music, apart from a few songs. I wouldn't see her live. Maybe I just like her opinions, although I sometimes disagree with her. Maybe I just appreciate her outspokenness. But then, why do I hate the likes of Morrissey and Axl Rose for their outspokenness? And I sure as hell disagree with pretty much everything I can think of either of them ever having said.

Click here to read the rest of Marnie Stern's interview with hearty magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment