Monday, June 13, 2011

Odd Couple

I found out a few nights ago that New York hardcore rockers Les Savy Fav will be playing with Montreal's Handsome Furs at the Commodore Ballroom on July 22. Talk about an odd couple, and I don't mean Handsome Furs' Dan Boeckner and wife Alexei Perry.

I'll definitely be going to this show. The Furs' newest album Sound Kapital (Sub Pop Records, 2011) isn't stellar (I've had almost zero desire to listen to it), and last year's Root For Ruin (Frenchkiss Records) is my least favourite Les Savy Fav album, but Handsome Furs are great otherwise, and Les Savy Fav is one of my favourite bands, especially when it comes to hardcore music.

Additionally, I've been craving a high-energy show lately - something on the level of Japanther which was the third best show I'd ever been to. I'm no longer counting on the Intelligence on June 21st at the Waldorf Hotel to be that high-energy show, especially knowing the size of crowd a better-known band like Wildbirds & Peacedrums was able to draw to that same venue (more on that show another time). No doubt, Les Savy Fav is going to be insaaane: just check out this video of them at Fun Fun Fun Fest in 2009. If Les Savy Fav is going to be anything like Japanther, I'm in for another sweaty, sore, bloody, beer-soaked night. And I didn't even drink at Japanther.

No comments:

Post a Comment