Monday, August 5, 2013

"The Pyrotechnics of Sound and Scare Tactics"

Trent Reznor on Nine Inch Nails' upcoming new album Hesitation Marks:

"I don't think it’s a gentle record. I do think it's more subversive in how it gets you. It's not about everything being at 11 and the pyrotechnics of sound and scare tactics, which I've definitely used in the past. But it doesn't feel like the middle-aged, I've-given-up record either."

"The pyrotechnics of sound and scare tactics." Describing music in those terms is one of those things I've never thought of before but makes total sense when I hear them; I can imagine exactly what Reznor's talking about. Don't you love those second-hand "Eureka!" moments when someone else articulates something so lucidly that you can't?

Click here to read Reznor's full interview with The New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment