Sunday, June 2, 2013

Could This Be the First Show I Object To on "Political" Grounds?

"Political" being a general term for beliefs here, not strictly speaking in party terms.

Would you see Peter Hook and his new band the Light play Movement and Power, Corruption & Lies in their entireties even if none of the other original members of New Order were involved or even approved? The former Joy Division and New Order multi-instrumentalist is bringing such a show to the Venue on September 23.

On one hand, I love those albums, and at least it's one original member of Joy Division and New Order; also, I could just think of the Light as a REALLY good cover band. On the other, it's only one original member, and I don't quite support the idea of shoving money into Peter Hook milking JD's and NO's legacies without the other members' consent. Also, I hate cover bands.

I should ignore the band-turmoil, as it is not my business, and just enjoy the music - strip everything away, from album art to the personas and characters and cultures/mythologies surrounding musical figures, albums, songs, etc. - that old cliche. But you're also the things you consume: the food you eat, the hobbies in which you partake, the television shows/movies/books/music you choose for entertainment. Both views are valid, but I guess I have until September 23 to decide which I'm more aligned with.

No comments:

Post a Comment