Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Music Video Review: Moby Featuring Mark Lanegan - "The Lonely Night"

I don't watch music videos anymore mainly because I haven't seen a good one since Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) was directing White Stripes videos; most videos I see nowadays are such pitiful, frustrating, infuriating excuses for "art": dance routines that feature less inventive choreography than elementary school cakewalks, people frolicking around in forests (the thickest patch in a public park) while wearing animal masks, intentional multicolored faux-VHS/Beta washes and fades complete with illusory tape distortions.

So it was with extreme pleasure that I blindly took on reviewing LA-based cinematographer Colin Rich's super-artful piece for Moby's and Mark Lanegan's song "The Lonely Night." Needless to say, it's one of the best I've seen in years and has restored my faith in "the state of music videos" - if there is such a thing. No surprise, the video's director is no amateur.

Since I can't post even my own work for Vancouver Weekly directly to my blog, read my thoughts on "The Lonely Night" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment