Monday, November 5, 2012

Metric Still Kicks Ass



That is to say, all of the Metric I've been listening back to has aged well. Old World Underground, Live It Out, "Help, I'm Alive," "Gimme Sympathy," "Stadium Love" (their biggest song in terms of its arena-filling ambition and scope) and by far and away my favourite Metric song "Rock Me Now."

I never thought Metric would become an arena band. In fact, I didn't know they had become an arena band until a couple of months ago when I saw a flyer for their show at Rogers Arena with Stars opening on Nov. 10. And then, random Twitter freeloading led me to this contest by the Georgia Straight to win tickets to that show, and while I don’t like today's Metric (or today's Stars or arena shows, for that matter), fuck, I'm not going to turn down a chance at free ticket to see either of them anywhere given how much I like them in general. Plus, the show's on one of the extremely rare Saturdays I have off.

So, the contest has me revisiting Metric, and I've been remembering how jagged, rocking, danceable, clean and sultry they can be, even though I can personally attest twice to their reputation of being a sloppy, drunken, likely stoned mess live. Actually, didn't I swear off seeing them ever again after those two shows? Shut up; it's free … It's free … It's free …..

No comments:

Post a Comment