Sunday, December 4, 2011

Matt and Kim, Andrew W.K. and Soulja Boy - "I'm A Goner"



I meant to write about this latest instalment in Converse's annual Three Artists One Song series as soon as I heard it, but it got backlogged by every post I made since summer.

I don't like Soulja Boy or Matt and Kim, but I thought Andrew W.K. alone would have made "I'm A Goner" worth listening to. Plus, I'm always pretty optimistic about collaborations between drastically different artists, even if I don't like everyone involved. Such was my mindset going into last year's kick-ass Three Artists One Song track "All Summer" by Best Coast's Bethany Cosentino, Kid Cudi and Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij.

YouTube user WK For President pretty much sums up my thoughts on "I'm A Goner" and Matt's explanation that they were trying to create the ultimate summer party-song:

"Not nearly enough Andrew WK. This is too chill to be a party song, I'm not too sure what your parties look like... I can't shotgun to this."

Indeed. I'm not a big partier, but even I wouldn't put on this song at a party. And I don't know what's up with Andrew W.K.'s voice here (he sings higher than usual), but I know I don't like it.

Oh, well. Here's to next year.

Hi ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment