Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This Is More Like It



I expressed my disappointment regarding "Nodding Off," the latest collaboration between Wavves and fellow Californian pot-pop-rockers Best Coast, from Wavves upcoming Life Sux EP. Before releasing "Nodding Off," Wavves unveiled another track from Life Sux called "I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl." Also a bit disappointing, I thought.

Yesterday, Wavves released yet another track from Life Sux. This time, it was "Destroy" featuring Toronto concept-punk-rockers Fucked Up, and I have to say, this track gets it right. Unlike "Nodding Off," "Destroy" is pretty much what I expected from a collaboration between the artists involved. I expected no less from Wavves/Fucked Up than a catchy yet guttural, energy-intensive song that one can jump around and puke to, not unlike the best Andrew W.K. cuts. I just love the sound of those opening drums, how they roll in for only a couple of seconds before the bands launch full tilt with an almost Frank Black-like shriek into a riptide of sloppy, head-banging guitars.

Edit: "I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl" is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment