Friday, August 12, 2011

New Feist Song: "How Come You Never Go There"

Listen to "How Come You Never Go There," the first track from Feist's upcoming fourth album Metals (out October 4 in Canada on Arts & Crafts) here.

Well, I'm stoked. "How Come You Never Go There" teeters between sombre and lullingly warm, its gentle pulsation complemented by extremely careful drum-work. The restraint shown in the compressed drumming, sharp guitar solo and even the song's brevity is the sort that always leaves me wanting more; the song is over before I know it. I've always been a sucker for brass too, especially when, like in "How Come You Never Go There," it isn't an airy whisper in the wind but not overpowering either. Likewise, Feist's voice is mostly a perfect medium here - and every bit as good as it has ever been. Ahhh, everything about this song just makes me melt.

I'm so happy Feist is trying something new and actually pulling it off. I was always kind of scared she'd repeat herself, mainly because I didn't really know where she would (or could) go after The Reminder (Arts & Crafts, 2007). On a more personal level, I'm also just so happy that I'm actually excited for her new album - really excited. I kind of lost my fire for Feist a few years ago: I had (and still have) 1.75 GB of music by her, and for a while, I even thought I might have liked her more than the White Stripes, but I was hardly excited to see her in Halifax, and while that was a good show, it was still the most disappointing show I'd ever seen. Hell, I haven't even been bothered to watch her DVD Look at What the Light Did Now. Now, however, I'm quite crushed I don't have a ticket to her show here in November, even though tickets ranged between fifty and seventy dollars. I'm still going to search Craig's List for as long as I can.

Regardless of nostalgia, it feels so great to remember why I loved Feist. Maybe it's finally time I try to find a copy of Look at What the Light Did Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment